Adv. Dip. Int. Counselling MBACP
My name is Sean Flynn.
I work as an Integrative Counsellor.
That means I am trained to help people help themselves.
I have a deep understanding of life, gained through my professional work and in facing my own difficulties.
It’s helped me, and every client I have worked with over the past twenty years, gain insight and understanding, live a happier life, feel hopeful, know who they are and be free to really celebrate their ‘one precious life’.
At heart I am an artist, not a scientist. I have a passion for life and find beauty in small things.
I’m trained to pay close attention to the verbal and non-verbal communication of my clients.To provide a safe confidential therapeutic space. To listen calmly and deeply from a focused, engaged position, to what is said and what is not said.
To value what gets left out, overlooked or discarded.
Counselling is a collaborative process. Working together, through dialogue, a client gains a deeper understanding of themselves. I am dedicated to helping clients achieve their goals, make the changes they want to make and let go of past trauma and limiting beliefs.
We are all born with simple needs, life just gets complicated at times.
Sean Flynn…an ongoing experience
- 1957 … Born in Lancashire
- 1975 … Survived primary and secondary school to study for a BA in Fine Art at Bower Aston Poly-technique Bristol
- 1978 – 1988 … Studied Aikido and T’ai Chi, dance and acting, formed a performance group and worked with leading choreographer Ian Spink. Studied massage and craniosacral technique. Qualified as a professional Shiatsu practitioner.
- 1994 – 1997 … Trained and qualified as a Marital and Relationship Counsellor with Bristol RELATE. Worked voluntarily with the Aled Richards Centre for people affected by HIV and AIDS and offered bodywork and movement classes at the Knowle West Community Centre Bristol
- 1997 … Moved to Devon. Set up a practice at the Abbey Mead Natural Health Centre offering individual and relationship counselling, bodywork and T’ai Chi classes.
- 1999 … Created and delivered a T’ai Chi based chronic pain management programme within the NHS.
- 2004 – 2005 … Delivered a T’ai Chi and Therapeutic Movement as an aid to learning within Mount House Pre-prep School, Tavistock, Devon
- 2006 … Began working with Mike Beard and Rem-State Ltd. Creating and delivering creative resources and emotional health and well-being training within Education, the NHS, Health, and Social Services (www.rem-state.com)
- 2010 … Landscore Primary School Devon. Created and delivered a visual recourse based day of Story-making and Story-telling to encourage and support literacy skills through visual, oral, and written narratives.
- 2010 … Worked with Devon Learning Development Partnership. Creating a filmed and downloadable storytelling and movement based recourse for primary schools called Take-Ten
- 2011 … Began an ongoing two year BACP accredited Advanced Diploma training in Integrative Counselling skills
- 2014 … Graduated from the Iron Mill College and joined the BACP Register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists.
The therapeutic approaches that influence my work most are Gestalt Therapy, Existential Therapy, Narrative Therapy, Solution Focused and Cognitive-Behavioural-Therapy (CBT).